Sunday 20 October 2013

Two Year Old Memories

Two years ago today, I was in a hospital bed recovering from the first surgery I ever had to have. But one of the best things to ever happen to me was the end result: A cesarean section to give birth to my Doozer!

I had been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 36 weeks. I had to go in for non-stress tests twice a week AND a drs appointment once a week while still working a full time job.

I went on Maternity Leave at 38 weeks. At 37 weeks, I had an ultra sound to measure Dooz-in-dah-belly. His head measured at 40 weeks and his belly at 42. The midwife and Dr told me he was over 10 lbs and I'd have to either schedule an induction or a c-section, as soon as possible.

"As soon as possible" meant when the only local dr in town that does c-sections was available, because they had no faith in an induction working...

My midwife and dr? FLIPPED CRAP at the diagnosis of GD. Instead of praising pregnant hormone enraged Stacey who cut sugar and carbs drastically for the health of unborn Dooz,I got criticized just for having GD in the first place.

I will admit I have an awesome love of all food delicious. Cutting carbs to fit in the diabetic guidelines was HUGE for me, and I did it, dang it. All the midwife and dr saw was fat mama giving her unborn baby juvenile diabetes.

The surgeon was available when I was 39 weeks. We scheduled the induction for monday night. My dad took Bones, expecting to only have him two nights tops. Of course, my body and Dooz wanted nothing to do with induction-- 24 hours of drugs and I'd only dialated 1.5cm. We scheduled the c-section first thing Wednesday morning.

Thanks to unforeseen circumstances [horrible car accident taking up the Operating Room], I was not brought into the OR until 9pm. At 9:21, my Doozer was born.

I had to stay in the hospital with my Dooz until Saturday morning. I couldn't have visitors thanks to the H1N1 stuff going around. And Hubs had to go back to work Friday and Saturday. I was lonely, depressed...but I had my Baby Dooz!

Recovery sucked. No one would help us out, so I was at home "on bed rest" chasing a 2 and a half year old, nursing newborn, and trying to make sure my incision site stayed clean and in tact. I think back on the entire experience and am saddened. My 'Gigantor, 10+lb baby' was born 8lbs, 11.6oz at less than one week early. I know I could have given birth to him naturally. But you do what the drs tell you, right?

I don't think about it much, anymore. I'm more thinking about starting potty training and trying to get him and his brother to play in a civil manner! I have a permanent scar on my body to remind me of the depression I went through after that birth experience. After a drug free, natural birth with Bones, it was a shock physically, and more-so mentally. But again, in the end, I got my Handsome Blonde! As long as I remember that, the sadness will continue to be nothing more than a memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment